Is Pfizer putting profits above lives? Public Citizen, a non-profit organization says that Pfizer can stop countries from speaking about contracts, block vaccine donations, unilaterally change delivery schedules & demand public assets as collateral. Palki Sharma tells you more.
Public Citizen reveals Pfizer’s demands:
- Waive the sovereignty of its assets abroad
- The rules of the land be not applied of Pfizer
- Take into consideration delay in vaccine delivery
- Not penalised for delaying delivery
- Exempt from all civil liability
Nine countries have been forced to make concessions to Pfizer in exchange for Covid-19 vaccine supply:
- Right to silence governments.
- Pfizer decides where the shots go.
- IP Waiver – if Pfizer is accused of intellectual property theft, governments must pay to defend Pfizer.
- Private arbitrators, not public courts, will decide disputes in secret.
- Pfizer can go after state assets to secure compensation.
- Pfizer decides on key decisions such as delivery timelines.